In 1999, the “Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana” (KVPY) is an esteemed program started in a successful manner by the Department of Science and Technology (DST) under the Government of India in order to encourage interested and eligible students who are keenly studying Basic Sciences in order to take up research career in Science field in the country. The main focus of this particular program is to largely identify plus wholeheartedly encourage motivated and talented students to perfectly pursue career in research related activities.
It is to be remembered that the Department of Science and Technology which is the nodal agency of the Government of India has rightly entrusted the overall duties and responsibility for successfully running and organizing the KVPY Program to the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. It has also established a National Advisory Committee (NAC) and a Management Committee for overseeing its perfect implementation. Moreover, a core committee directly looks after both academic aspects and the day-to-day of the KVPY Program.
It is to be highly noted that contingency grant and generous fellowship are provided to the selected KVPY Fellows up to the pre Ph.D. level or 5 years whichever is earlier. In prestigious research and educational institutions in the country, summer camps for the KVPY Fellows are organized in addition for students.
Eligibility of KVPY 2019
• The KVPY Fellowships are given to Indian Nationals only to Study in India.
• Those students who are intending to pursue/pursing under graduate program under Distance Education scheme/correspondence course of any university aren’t eligible to apply under any situations, circumstances and conditions.
• Students who had enrolled in an undergraduate course in Basic Sciences, that is, B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S. in Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Statistics, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Cell Biology, Ecology, Molecular Biology, Botany, Zoology, Physiology, Biotechnology, Neurosciences, Bioinformatics, Marine Biology, Geology, Human Biology, Genetics, Biomedical Sciences, Applied Physics, Geophysics, Materials Science or Environmental Science.
• Stream SA: Students who has enrolled in XI Standard (Science Subjects) during the academic year 2019-17 plus having secured a minimum of 80% (70% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in MATHEMATICS and SCIENCE subjects in the X Standard Board examination. The fellowship of the students selected under this particular stream will be rightly activated only if they join an undergraduate course in Basic Sciences (B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S.) in the academic year 2019-19 after having secured a minimum of 60% (50%for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in Science subjects in the XII standard/(+2) Board Examination. During the interim period of first year they will be invited for Regional /National (Vijyoshi) Science Camp plus their travel and other related expenses will be directly met by KVPY.
• Stream SX: Students who has enrolled in XII Standard/ (+2) (Science subjects) during the academic year 2018–17 plus interested to join undergraduate program in Basic Sciences namely Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics & Biology that is leading to B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S. for the session 2018–18 provided they must have secured a minimum of 80% (70% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in MATHEMATICS and SCIENCE subjects (Physics/Chemistry/Biology) in the X Standard Board Examination plus a minimum of 60% (50% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in SCIENCE subjects (Physics/Chemistry/Biology) in the XII standard Board Examination.
• Students who are in their second year of study in Cambridge International Examination Board plus largely keen to join an UG program (viz. B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S.)in Basic Sciences namely Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology in the Academic year 2019-18 are eligible to apply provided they must have secured a minimum of 80% (70% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in MATHEMATICS and SCIENCE subjects (Physics/Chemistry/Biology) in the X Standard Board Examination. They should secure 60% (50% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in MATHEMATICS and SCIENCE subjects (Physics/Chemistry/Biology) in the XII standard Board Examination before taking up the fellowship, in case if awarded.
• Stream SB: Students who had enrolled in 1st year of undergraduate program in Basic Sciences namely Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics & Biology that is leading to B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S. during the academic year 2018–17 plus having secured a minimum of 60% (50% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in SCIENCE subjects (Physics/Chemistry/Biology/Mathematics) in the XII Standard Board Examination. In the 1st year final examination of B.Sc./B.S./B.Math./B.Stat./Int. M.Sc./M.S. they should secure 60% (50% for SC/ST/PWD) marks before taking up the fellowship, in case if awarded.
Fellowship of KVPY 2019
Under Basic Science
• SA/SX/SB – During 1st to 3rd years of – B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math. / Integrated M.Sc. /M.S. it comes with monthly fellowship of Rs. 5000 and annual contingency grant of Rs. 20000
• SA/SX/SB – During M. Sc. / 4th to 5th years of Integrated M.Sc. /M.S./M.Math./M.Stat. it comes with monthly fellowship of Rs. 7000 and annual contingency grant Rs. 28000
Renewal/Continuation of fellowship of KVPY 2019
• The annual renewal of fellowships will largely depend on the KVPY Fellows who are rightly maintaining a better academic performance of 60% marks or first class or equivalent grade point average (50% or equivalent grade point average for SC/ST/PWD) in subjects related to science in aggregate in each academic year in their initial attempt in a successful manner.
Application Form of KVPY 2019
• The online application is readily available in the official website kvpy.iisc.ernet.in.
Selection Procedure of KVPY 2019
• Aptitude Test: Just after scrutiny of application forms plus meeting the eligibility criteria for various streams, all students who are eligible will be personally called for aptitude test conducted both in English and Hindi languages at different centers across the nation on Sunday, the 6th November 2019.
• In the KVPY website during the second week of October 2019, the details of the venue of the aptitude test for the eligible students plus their seat number along with other information will be published.
• Students may directly download the admit card from the website from the second week of October 2019 for the aptitude test.
• It is to be highly noted that based on the performance in the aptitude test, the short-listed students will be personally called to appear for an interview that is the final stage of the selection process.
Important Dates in KVPY 2019
• The opening of online application portal is on 10th July 2019
• The Last date for closing of online application is on or before 16th August 2019
• The last date for submitting online application is on or before 23rd August 2019
• The Exam Date is on 6th Nov 2019
“All the Best for KVPY 2018”